Nanticoke Historical Society

Nanticoke Historical Society

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Our Future History

The Nanticoke Historical Society is as much about our present day community as it is of our past.  In my limited capacity, when opportunities present themselves, I try to look around myself for new and interesting activities around me.  It's important to keep an open mind that others who may not  necessarily share our  opinions or beliefs still have much to contribute.  We are a nation, a state and a city of many all as a whole, whom make up who we are, to all our greater good. Whomever we are, we still are one a community each, with our own stories and history that I welcome and invite you to share your stories and history with us. If they be different, that is even better.

The Christian Music experience was a little outside my realm which was the reason for my prelude such as it was. My interests in music and electronics lead me, by invitation I must admit, to a quite enjoyable and most unexpectedly pleasant evening. The room was softly lit. The people were warm friendly and inviting. The church offered free coffee and confections.  It was an evening of music, of song and pleasant melody.  The lyrics often told stories of retrospect, self examination, of experiences that give life purpose and meaning and perhaps of mistakes made, that if could, would be make right.  If you are a person who believes completely in yourself, that all decisions and choices you made were in good conscience and were true and correct and ultimately produced the possible outcome for yourself at least, with lack of need of any kind of reflection, if your song is: Me, Me,Me, then this evening probably wouldn't be for you.  I would like to think that there may be some out there like that, but most of us to some degree have some true moral conscience, humility,  decency and respect for those maybe a little different.

Now in my more advancing years, my favorite genres of music generally fall into several categories. I tend to listen to old 1940's (I love the era),  public broadcasting: homespun, music, classical.  The old wooden music
like Arlo Guthrie, (and who remembers The Christy Minstrels).  I'll watch American Idol and The Voice, but do not recognise most of the music unless it is retro 60's, 70's 80's.  So, my outlook on Christian Music was: "Well it's out there", neither like or dislike.  It did however have an element to which I could relate to. Even if you are just somewhat spiritual, it deserves a listen.

The featured artist was Dave Griffen (Dave I hope I got that right - I was limited by my slight hearing impairment).

This evening the coffee house was broadcast live from Nanticoke's own low power station WVHO FM 94.5.  Limited to about under 300 watts, it's coverage is pretty much limited to the surrounding area. The featured  event host was Stephen Perillo and was operations were conducted by on duty staff station operator Warren Storosko. The show was produced by St.John's Lutheran Church Nanticoke.

Warren gave me a quick 5 minute tour of the broadcast facility which was quite modest but more more than adequate.  The station also does some music production. Warren explained some of the equipment and it's capability. Look for more photos on our Pintrest site Facebook and Nanticoke History Online.org

No comments:

Post a Comment