Nanticoke Historical Society

Nanticoke Historical Society

Monday, December 26, 2011

Nanticoke Woman was connected to History of Stone Lake Manitowish Waters WI

 Post from  Koller Library Manitowish Waters Blog Spot

Read more about Beaumont's Island Manitowish Waters WI
Beaumont's Resort

Tuesday, July 19, 2011


Memories of a Forgotten Island 

 Mitzi & Eleanor 1970 Three Sisters Women's Apparel  Shop Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee WI 

 

Reprinted from the Lakeland Times, January 2, 2009, by Joyce Laabs.

Editor's Note: Memories fade, but some are captured to be renewed. This was the case of Beaumont's Island on Stone Lake in Manitowish Waters. The following appeared in The Lakeland Times in July 1978. We thought our readers would enjoy a piece of forgotten history.

Comment posted by myself on Koller Library Blog Spot Page

Geneb53 said...
Both my parents were born and raised in a small coal town in NE Pennsylvania, Nanticoke. Dad, after the war, relocated to Milwaukee to earn a living as the life of a coal miner was hard, dangerous and without sufficient means to raise a family. In the mid to later 1960’s my mother Eleanor worked with Mitzi in Milwaukee in a women’s apparel shop on Wisconsin Ave. by the name of Three Sisters. They became good friends and we got invitations to visit them on Beaumont’s Island where my father got the opportunity to fish for the Wisconsin game fish, the Muskellunge. When I was in my later teens and early 20’s I would take him up to Manitowish Waters for summer trips from Milwaukee. If memory serves me correctly the big bell was on the property of the Coffee’s, which they referred to as the Coffee grounds. The Coffees were the daughter and son in-law of the Beaumont’s. Ed and Mitzi would tell them of our intended arrival and would ring the bell for Ed to come out for us on his pontoon boat. Mitzi’s husband, Ed, always had a big cigar in his mouth. I remember Mitzi banged out rag time on an old out of tune upright piano. Ed banged out a rhythm on the drums and I played on a bass made from a bass string, a stick and a garbage can. The “Lodge” had a stuffed bear and the walls had game fish mounted. Ed and Mitzi would tell us stories of the loggers that would walk across the frozen lake in the winter and drink in the Lodge. The Lodge had old tables. Mitzi told us that came from the Schlitz Brewing Company. The Company would provide the tables and chairs to those who sold their product and where engraved with the Schlitz logo in large letters in the backs of the chairs. The cabins had the old gas light fixtures in them that still actually worked. Ed had a gasoline electric generator and in the summer months he would run it for about an hour or two in the cabins and the lodge. If memory serves me correctly, I believe Ed and Mitzi eventually got utility power out to the island, probably at considerable expense. All my old pictures where on transparency slide film and were lost. As real as it was, after 40 years your blog posting was like a miracle as my memories where almost a dream. I’d thought the island was on Spider Lake and could not find anything at all on the web. Ed and Mitzi’s stories of Vilas County, Little Bohemia and Dillinger’s hang out were some of my best times ever. Both My parents are now gone, but you have given me back some precious memories I had thought were lost forever. Gene Bojarski http://www.Nanticokehistoryonline.org
MW Library said...
Hi Gene- Thank you so much for sharing these memories with us! Janelle & I are thrilled that the blog has made a difference for you. Please let us know if there's any more info we can help you with!

No comments:

Post a Comment